“A moment of self-compassion can change your entire day. A string of such moments can change the course of your life.” – Christopher K. Germer
This week, as we get ready to celebrate Valentine’s Day and the important people in our life, I would like to take a moment to ask you a very important question; “What are you going to do to celebrate YOU?”
We live in a fast paced world in which we are continually bustling from commitment to commitment. Many of those commitments require us to focus our energy outward towards others.
While helping others in need and contributing to society is often very satisfying and valuable, I am curious to know when was the last time you practiced SELF-COMPASSION and thought you were important enough to incorporate SELF-CARE activities into your schedule?
A great coaching tool that will help you create a sense of balance in your life and identify areas of needed self-compassion and care is The Life Wheel. The Life Wheel is an informative and visual way to see how satisfied you are with the different areas of your life.
The wheel can bring attention to the great things you are already doing in your life, as well as identify areas where you can make changes and create more satisfaction. The Life Wheel can help you clarify priorities for goal setting which can then lead to the changes you want to make.
Your desire to make these changes will help you practice the necessary self-compassion and care. Remember, the definition of a balanced life is unique to each and every one of us.
Some questions you might ask yourself after completing The Life Wheel:
- Are there any surprises for me?
- How do I feel about my life as I look at my results?
- Which of these areas of my life would I like to improve? Only pick three areas to start with so that you set yourself up for success. Remember success in one area has a ripple effect.
- If I practiced self-care and self-compassion in a specific area, what would the benefit be to myself and others?
- What do I want more of in my life? How can I incorporate more self-compassion and care in my life?
- How can I make space for the self-care changes I have identified?
- How can I improve my score in one area by two points, three points?
- Can I make the necessary changes on my own or do I need to enlist the help of others?
- What does success and self-compassion/care feel like in each area? Remember to capture all your thoughts either in a journal or on the life wheel.
- What is one small step I can make for myself today toward creating the change I desire? Hint, no step is too small.
So, in honor of this Valentine’s Day, I challenge you to take some time for yourself; smell the roses, have a cup of your favorite hot beverage and complete The Life Wheel Exercise.
Feel free to modify the wheel to meet your needs. You can easily split categories, re-label them or even add something that is missing to make the wheel more meaningful to your life. Have fun with the exercise: YOU are well worth it!
Happy Valentine’s Day. Take time to celebrate YOU and have A.Better.Life. Experience.
Kristine Shiverick, M.Ed., AAC